Good evening parents, this is Mr. Rice, Principal of Lyman High School and this is your Weekly Principal’s Update!
Congratulations to our Lyman Band and Lyman Diamond Dance Team for an outstanding Showcase Concert last night. This show featured a non-stop, action-packed, entertaining evening of performances that the audience loved! So many talented students and great teachers! Congratulations Mr. Muse, Mr. Porter and all students in the program for a great performance.
As we begin to wind things down for the first semester, I want to draw your attention to a few important, upcoming items:
Quarter Exams are right around the corner. As a reminder, your child’s Semester Grade (the grade that goes on their transcript) is an average of the 1st and 2nd quarter grade. It is not too late to improve their grade! Speak with your child’s teacher ASAP to learn how your child can finish out strong! Here is a copy of the quarter exam schedule. http://bit.ly/2ALOlQ8
Graduation: I still cannot share a date as the contract with UCF has not been approved/signed by the School Board, but I am being told that I will be able to release the date in next Friday’s Update! In the meantime, please remember that the graduation fee (same thing as the Senior Fee) is due at this time. Please visit the Herff Jones Website at www.herfforlando.com to make your payment. If you already ordered a package, the graduation fee has already been included in the package price.
Junior Parents: Herff Jones Class Rings will be available for pickup during both lunches on the 13th and 14th. Please make sure your payments have been received in full to pick up your ring. Please contact Herff Jones for more information.
IMPORTANT 2nd SEMESTER DATES (Visit the Lyman Activity Calendar for more information)
- Winter Break:
- Students are off December 22nd - January 7th
- Lyman HS Office be open Friday, December 22nd and Friday, January 5th from 7:00am-1:00pm.
- Click HERE for the SCPS Student Calendar
- NCAA Athletic Information Night – February 8th – Lyman HS Auditorium – Flyer Link
- Lyman Athletic Booster Golf Tournament – February 17th – visit the Booster Website for more information as it becomes available.
- Prom – April 14th, Hilton Buena Vista Palace Resort
- Greyhound Scholars Awards Night – April 25th, 6:00pm
- AP Testing – May 7-18 (Speak to your AP Teacher for specific exam dates)
- Graduation –To be announced next week
PSAT scores will be released to 9th-11th grade students on Monday (those that took the PSAT in October). Our Student Services Team will share more information with you next week regarding what you can do to help your child be prepared for the SAT or their next PSAT, including how to link your child’s Kahn Academy Account with the PSAT/SAT Account on the College Board’s Website.
Congratulations to the following students and teacher who were awarded last week’s Student/Teacher of the Week! You can view pictures of these students on our Lyman Website as well as on our Facebook and Twitter Pages.
- 9th Grade - Savannah Hubbard
- 10th Grade - Gabriel Trahan
- 11th Grade - Vida Tonkova
- 12th Grade - Irvin Vargas
- Teacher - Sgt. Nadene Turner
INTERESTED IN NOMINATING A TEACHER OF THE WEEK? Submit your nomination by clicking the following link. https://tinyurl.com/yb5nstat
Our Bell Schedule next week:
- Monday & Thursday are Blue Days (1,3,7,5)
- Tuesday & Friday are Gold Days (2,4,7,6)
- Wednesday is a Red Day (1-6)
Here is a look at events for this week:
- Tuesday/Thursday – Tutoring (English/Reading/Geometry/Algebra 1) Ending December 14th
- Thursday & Friday – Winter Dance Show – Auditorium – 7:00pm
- Saturday – NHS Holiday Movie Night – 6:00pm
Remember, you matter, we matter, Everyone Matters at Lyman High School. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help your child succeed!
Michael J. Rice
Lyman High School