Good morning parents, this is Mr. Rice, Principal of Lyman High School and this is your Weekly Principal’s Update!
Last weekend, our Odyssey of the Mind students competed at the UCF Regional earning a 1st and 2nd place finish. They will now proceed to the state competition in April!
Mu Alpha Theta March Regionals were held Saturday, March 3rd, at Seminole High School. A total of 27 schools were there, and Lyman came in 5th place overall!!!
It was a great weekend for Lyman Bands! Our Wind Ensemble earned a Superior Rating and our Symphonic Band earned an Excellent Rating at the District 6 Concert Music Performance Assessment! Well done!
For pictures, please visit our Facebook and Twitter Pages. Congratulations to all involved! Way to represent the Blue & Gold, Greyhounds!
FSA Writing Make-Ups
Congratulations to our 9th and 10th grade students who took the FSA Writing Assessment last week! If your child was out sick, please be sure to have him/her come to the Media Center first thing in the morning to speak with our Testing Coordinator, Mrs. Amy Moore who will get them setup for their Make-Up Assessment.
SAT School Day – Wednesday, March 7th
Our SAT School Day for Juniors only is coming up on Wednesday. Students without a first or second period, don’t forget to be on campus by 7:20am! Students will need to bring their own pencil and calculator. It is recommended that they bring a snack, water and sweater or jacket as some rooms are cooler than others. Testing room locations will be posted starting Monday. On Wednesday, all other students (Grade 9, 10, 12) will follow a Gold Day Bell Schedule (2,4,7,6). However, the bells will be off and dismissal will be directed by the teacher.
3rd Quarter Exam Schedule
Next week, all students will take their 3rd Quarter Exams. Please click HERE for a copy of the Exam and Bell Schedule for next week.
Spring Musical – The Addams Family
Come see our students showcase their talent this week as they entertain audiences with The Addams Family, this weekend. The show opens Thursday and will continue Friday and Saturday at 7:00pm in the Auditorium. Tickets are $7 in advance, $10 at the door! Visit Lymlight Productions on Twitter for more information.
School Safety & Security
Please be reminded of these very important updates to our school safety and security protocols:
- Fire Alarms - Until further notice, if the fire alarm sounds, please keep all students in class. Our Leadership Team and Security will assess the location of the alarm and then broadcast information on the intercom with additional instructions if necessary. If there is a fire in the room or smoke is observed nearby, then teachers and students will immediately evacuate.
- No Passes During 7th and 4th Periods (Lunches)
- Exterior Doors Must Remain Locked and Closed at all times.
- Parking Lot is Off Limits Once School Starts
- See Something, Say Something – Speakout Hotline at www.speakouthotline.org.
- Watch what you say
- UBER Eats, UBER Vehicles, and other deliveries are prohibited during the school day.
Florida Standards Assessment & End of Course Exam BOOT CAMP Opportunities – REGISTER NOW!
We are excited to offer a number of Boot Camps to help prepare our students for their upcoming State Assessments. These Boot Camps will offer students a review of the content they need to know to prepare for the Writing, Reading, Biology, Algebra, & Geometry assessment and will also provide students with specific test prep strategies. We will provide snacks and most importantly, this is a FREE opportunity. Limited bus transportation will be provided. Please encourage your child to attend. To register, click HERE to view the informational flyer.
Click HERE for a copy of the Lyman High School Testing Calendar which includes the Florida Standards Assessment (ELA & Algebra 1), End of Course Exams (Geometry, Biology, American History) & AP Assessments.
This Week’s Bell Schedule: PLEASE NOTE THE WEDNESDAY/FRIDAY SWITCH THIS WEEK
Click HERE for a copy of the Blue/Gold Full Year Calendar.
- Monday & Thursday are Blue Days (1,3,7,5)
- Tuesday & Wednesday are Gold Days (2,4,7,6)
- Friday is a Red Day (1-6)
IMPORTANT 2ND SEMESTER DATES (Visit the Lyman Activity Calendar for more information)
- SAT SCHOOL DAY – March 7th - Grade 11 Only – FREE – Administered during the school day
- All others on a Gold Day Schedule (2,4,7,6) – Bells will be silent
- 3rd Quarter Exams – 3/13/18 – 3/15/18 – Schedule
- Teacher Workday – No Students – March 16th
- Spring Break – March 19-23
- Prom – April 14th, Hilton Buena Vista Palace Resort – Prom Info – Guest Policy
- Greyhound Scholars Awards Night – April 25th, 6:00pm
- FSA Reading & Algebra 1, EOC Geometry, Biology, & US History - Testing Calendar
- AP Testing – May 7th - 18th – Testing Calendar
- Last Day for Seniors – May 18, 2018
- Graduation – May 25, 2018 – 9:00am - CFE Arena at UCF - click HERE for further details
- Last Day of School – May 25, 2018
Remember, you matter, we matter, Everyone Matters at Lyman High School.
Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help your child succeed!
Michael J. Rice
Lyman High School