Our Mission

Lyman High School is committed to providing educational opportunities that will prepare and empower students for an ever changing global society.

Lyman High School

865 S. Ronald Reagan Blvd.
Longwood FL, 32750

407-746-2050 Main

Principal
Michael Rice
407-746-2100


Office Hours
7:00 am - 3:00 pm
​Monday - Friday

    





@LymanHighSchool Like Us on Facebook Lyman High School on Twitter Lyman High School on Facebook

Lyman History

Lyman High School's namesake, Howard Charles Lyman, and his wife, Emma Abbott Lyman, first arrived in the area in the early 1900s. They were invited by former Congressman Charles Haines to winter in Florida at his retreat along Lake Orienta. Soon, the couple became actively involved in the political and social aspects of the community.

A few years after Seminole County separated from Orange County, the Lymans and other Altamonte residents voted to incorporate the Town of Altamonte Springs on November 11, 1920. In the years 1922-1923, with the increasing population of Special Tax District No. 3, it became apparent that better school facilities were going to be necessary, as the small two-teacher buildings at Altamonte and Longwood were no longer adequate.

The local board of trustees, Mr. Ben Overstreet and Mr. Howard Lyman, called several mass meetings to discuss bonding the district for new school buildings. Mr. Overstreet suggested the idea of consolidation rather than three school buildings to be located at Longwood, Altamonte, and Lake Mary. This plan was studied by the trustees and placed before the taxpayers. The Lake Mary patrons, on account of their location, decided to have their own local building and were given their pro rata share of the bonded amount. Altamonte and Longwood decided to consolidate into one school.

In the bond election of July, 1923, the plan was approved by the majority, and the contract was let to J.B. Southard Company of Orlando. The cornerstone was laid with an impressive ceremony by the Longwood, Sanford, and Altamonte Masonic lodges in August 1924. The death of Howard Charles Lyman occurred on July 7, five days before the bond election, and in appreciation of his work with Mr. Overstreet the school was given his name.

The new school opened in September, 1924, under the supervision of Professor Howard C. Douglas with three assistants. Prof. J.B. Anthony took over in 1925 with five assistants. In 1926 Prof. Herbert Chaffer added several new features to the school, and under his administration it became an accredited Junior High School. At this time the enrollment had increased to such an extent that it was again necessary to bond the district and add six new rooms to the building.

Mr. J.N. Overholtz and Mr. J.H. Wyse were at the head of the school in 1927 and 1928 respectively. In 1929, the school came under the supervision of Mr. W.J. Wells, Jr., who had nine assistants. Under Mr. Wells, the school ran through the Eighth Grade and became accredited up to the Twelfth Grade shortly thereafter. The school was as modern as any school could be with a growing library, successful athletic teams, and a Girls' Glee Club directed by Mrs. Lyman It even had its own "lunch room" sponsored by the P.T.A. In 1963, Lyman School became Lyman High School, an accredited four-year institution, under the leadership of Mr. Carlton D. Henley. Just three years later, Lyman High School was integrated and admitted its first black students. Before this, black students attended the Rosenwald School, which opened in 1931.

In 1970, the school was moved to a new building, just down the street. As the new Lyman High School took shape, the old school became Milwee Middle School.

In 1994, after three decades of leading Lyman High School through massive growth, Mr. Henley retired and Dr. Peter Gorman stepped in as Lyman's new principal. After three years, Dr. Gorman moved on to work in Osceola and then Orange County, turning over the school that we know today to Mr. Sam Momary.

In 1999, Lyman celebrated her 75th Anniversary with a spectacular Homecoming Celebration and with the creation of the Lyman High School Hall of Fame.

2000 marked the first year of Lyman's new magnet program, the Institute for Engineering and Technology. Under Mr. Casillo's leadership, Lyman is being transformed before our very eyes. Recent renovations, include a new kitchen, classroom building, and a new performing arts facility, complete with an auditorium.

In June of 2011 Brian Urichiko became the Principal of Lyman High School. Mr. Urichiko is working to make Lyman a 21st century school by empowering students to succeed by achieving academic success, embracing innovative technologies, and inspiring the greyhound way of life.

Lyman High School has always been on the cutting edge and remains poised to jump at the new ideas and technologies that will change the lives of our students. Lyman High School and Seminole County Public Schools are dedicated to preparing students for the 3C's which are College, Career, and Citizenship to help students be ready for the 21st century global society